Federer turns tourist in Istanbul

Even with 17 years of travel on the ATP World Tour under his belt, there are still exotic locales Roger Federer has yet to explore. Istanbul was on that list of uncharted territory until Thursday when the 33-year-old took advantage of a day off at the TEB BNP Paribas Istanbul Open to soak in his surroundings.

The World No. 2 and his team visited the beautiful Hagia Sophia museum and enjoyed a boat ride on the Bosphorus, visiting both the European and the Asian sides of Turkey's largest city.

“For me, it’s been a joy traveling and going to see new places,” Federer said. “I felt like a tourist. I still feel like I’m so young, and still able to discover new places. I think it’s probably one of the reasons I’m still playing tennis today.”

Even the weather seemed to be on its best behavior to welcome the Swiss star. Mild temperatures and low humidity provided the backdrop for his two-hour, 27-minute quarter-final victory over Spaniard Daniel Gimeno-Traver on Friday.

“They were perfect playing conditions today,” he said after his 7-6(3), 6-7(5), 6-3 win. “Almost no wind, beautiful sunshine; not to hot, not too cold.”

Despite coming back from a 2-5 deficit in the second set, Federer was forced to go the distance before closing out his Spanish opponent.

“Just because it’s nice weather doesn’t mean you’re going to play nice,” he said with a laugh. “I wish it was like that, but it’s not as simple as that. It was a good fight today, so I’m happy I was able to find a way.”

When asked about converting on just three of 13 break opportunities, Federer again chose to dwell on the positives.

“When you have stats like this, there are many ways you can look at it,” he said. “I created a lot of opportunities, and that’s good. I also missed a lot of opportunities, and that’s not so good. I’m not too concerned about things like this. It’s important to learn from them and try to do it better next time.”

Federer will face Argentine Diego Schwartzman in the semi-finals.

Date: 2nd May 2015, Source: ATP

1 comments: