Federer withdraws from Cincinnati with back injury

Roger Federer has withdrawn from the Western and Southern Open in Cincinnati. The seven-time champion said on Monday that a back injury will force him to miss the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament this week.

“I am very sorry to pull out of the Western and Southern Open as I always enjoy playing here,” Federer said. “Cincinnati has some of the best fans in the world and I am sorry I will miss them. Unfortunately, I tweaked my back in Montreal and I need to rest this week.”

A lucky loser will replace him in the draw and have the benefit of a first round bye.

Federer fell in the Rogers Cup final to Alexander Zverev, the first title match the Swiss has lost this season (5-1 record). His withdrawal guarantees Rafael Nadal will return to No. 1 in the ATP Rankings when the new rankings are released on Monday 21 August. Nadal has spent 141 weeks at the top spot but hasn't been No. 1 since 6 July 2014.

The Swiss star, ranked No. 3, is sidelined along with No. 1 Andy Murray, No. 4 Stan Wawrinka, No. 5 Novak Djokovic, No. 6 Marin Cilic, the defending champion, No. 9 Kei Nishikori and 21st-ranked Gael Monfils.

“It's bad news for Roger that he's not playing,” Nadal said. “I wish them all a speedy recovery. We need them in the game. I hope they get back soon.”

Date: 14 August 2017

0 comments:

Post a Comment