Roger wins Stockholm Open for 64th Title

Roger defeated Germany's Florian Mayer 6-4, 6-3 today to win the Stockholm Open. It is his third title this year and his 64th career title - matching Pete Sampras' record!

Once more in Stockholm, it was not easy for Roger to find his way into the match as he eventually faced a break in game number 7. But he reacted immediately today, breaking right back and even scoring another break shortly afterwards to take the set. The second set was all Roger's as he showed some spectacular tennis to secure the title after 64 minutes.

Only Jimmy Connors (109), Ivan Lendl (94) and John McEnroe (77) have collected more tournament titles than Roger so far. Our champ matched Pete Sampras' mark of 64 today. Next up are the Swiss Indoors in Roger's home-town Basel in a week's time.

“It’s amazing that I’m there where Pete’s ended his career on,” Federer said. “You never know when it’s your last one, that’s why you want to savor every tournament victory.”

“Early on, I think that feeling of wanting to prove yourself to the world and all the doubters is a very strong one, so you’re very aggressive in your ways of winning and not enjoying them,” Federer said. “Today it’s much more of the enjoyment part because I don’t need to prove myself to anyone anymore, except to myself.”

“For me, every tournament victory is special, this is one I’ll definitely remember, maybe more than other ones,” Federer said.

“It feels great winning any tournament, but especially in a country where I’ve never been successful before,” Federer said.”Mayer played a really good match in the final and I had to really come up with some good tennis.”

Date: 24.10.2010, Source: RF Official and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment