Federer makes swift progress in late-night match

Roger Federer moved swiftly into the quarter-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open, easing past Olivier Rochus 6-3, 6-1 in a match that started at 12:37 a.m. EST Wednesday morning.

The late start was not uncharted territory for the 16-time Grand Slam champion. “It's happened a few times in my career where we waited around forever and I was able to play one of those clean, quick matches,” said Federer after defeating Rochus. “But, still, I prefer it not to happen every night.”

A two-time Sony Ericsson Open champion, Federer was pleased with his overall performance against the Belgian, whom he now owns an 8-0 record against.

“I really was able to hit freely tonight and play with great variation, and I think that really kept him guessing... Today I just didn't allow him to play because I was playing too offensive[ly],” Federer said.

“Everything worked the way I wanted it or hoped it to work, because I've played tough matches against him. I should have lost maybe two out of those eight now we've played. So I knew the danger of Olivier, and we know each other so well.  He can find a way into the match and then make you doubt and find your weakness and so forth.”

Despite the delayed start, a number of fans hung around to support the World No. 3 and Federer certainly made note of it during the match.

“It's nice to see fans actually stuck around. It's a big thank you to them, because I really expected them to leave after the first set or just not be around at all anymore when we came out.”

Roger's opponent in Thursday's quarter-final will be France's Gilles Simon.

Date: 30.03.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment