Federer moves swiftly through

Roger Federer raced to his quickest victory of the 2011 ATP World Tour season on Tuesday afternoon at the BNP Paribas Open. Federer closed out a 6-0, 6-2 win over Argentine Juan Ignacio Chela in 58 minutes.

Chela’s lone opportunity to break the Swiss came in the opening game. Federer dropped just eight points on serve the rest of the way and broke Chela for a fifth time in the match to clinch his most one-sided win at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden since 2008 (d. Mahut in second round).

“Clearly with a result like this, especially on a hot day like that, you pick the right days to play well and win quickly, so I'm happy it went so well today,” said Federer. “Opening first couple of games were kind of tough. I was able to move him around, I thought. Then I was able to mix it up, and I think I took his options away a bit. And then obviously his serve kind of went away and I was able to  find a way to outmaneuver him. At the end, it was a great match.”

It proved a stark contrast to Federer’s third-round match last year, when he failed to convert three match points in a loss to Cypriot Marcos Baghdatis in a third set tie-break. The 29 year old, a three-time BNP Paribas Open champion, improves to a  31-7 tournament record.

Federer will play American Ryan Harrison in the fourth round after the 18 year old prevailed against 20-year-old Milos Raonic 7-6(1), 4-6, 6-4 after two hours and 29 minutes.

“I've never played either one of them, and it's going to be an interesting match for me because they have nothing to lose and got big games to play aggressive,” said Federer of the two up-and-comers. “It will be interesting to see how that goes.”

Date: 16.03.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment