Federer out of Rogers Cup

Roger Federer had said his previous two losses against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga were “not normal” - both matches in which he let sizeable leads slip away.

On Thursday night, the pair met again at the Rogers Cup in Montreal two years after that first uncharacteristic loss, and this time Federer found himself playing catch-up before falling to the Frenchman 7-6(3), 4-6, 6-1.

Federer was unable to convert his three break points in the opening set, including one set point, allowing Tsonga to seize the lead in the tie-break after 57 minutes of play.

He quickly countered to go up a break, 2-1, in the second set and saved three break points in the eighth game. He could not hold Tsonga down for long, however, as the Frenchman decisively took control in the third set, rolling out to a 5-0 lead before serving out the victory.

“He’s confident right now and he played an excellent third set,” said Federer, a two time champion at this ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament. “The first two sets were tighter. I should maybe have won the first one. I had some opportunities. In the second I was able to hold my serve. I might have won, but he was able to finish off the match very well.”

Date: 12.08.2011, Source: ATP

1 comments:

  1. I hate it when Roger loses anyway hard luck Roger and I hope you start winning some tournaments again.

    ReplyDelete