Blue or Red, result is same for Federer

Roger Federer began his quest to win the Internazionali BNL d’Italia for the first time with a confident 6-4, 6-3 victory over Argentine Carlos Berlocq Wednesday in Rome. Federer, who last week won a record-tying 20th ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title on blue clay in Madrid, will next face fellow former World No. 1 and 2001 Rome champion Juan Carlos Ferrero.

Federer dropped just six points on his first serve and was broken once in the 70-minute match.

"I only decided today to play here after practise this morning," said Fereder, whose win in Madrid took him to 74 ATP titles.

"I wanted to see how I felt and that nothing major was bothering me. I'm happy I felt good out there, but I'm going round-by-round."

"We are ahead of a long summer, this is the start of many events in a row and potentially a lot of five-setters. I needed to make sure that I took a good decision."

The Swiss entered Rome at No. 2 in the South African Airways ATP Rankings, having overtaken Rafael Nadal following his triumph at the Mutua Madrid Open. "I have a good win under my belt and I might be No. 3 next week, but that doesn't matter for me and Rafa," he said. "I know it is an interesting time right now and that there is a lot to talk about rankings. I know that I have a shot until the US Open with the No. 1 ATP Rankings and you will see."

Federer is on the hunt for his first Rome title after losing the 2003 and 2006 finals. The Swiss great never allowed Berlocq a look in as charged out by winning the first dozen points of the contest.
He said that making the quick-change from the speed of a Madrid clay court to the slower one in Rome is always a test.

"You have to make adjustments. Guys can stand way behind the service line here and you have to watch your returns. It changes the whole playing style from the baseline and how points are constructed."

Date: 16.05.2012, Source: AFP & ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment