Federer not surprised by Nadal decision about US Open

Roger Federer expressed his concern at the Cincinnati Masters that Rafael Nadal will be forced to miss the US Open due to left knee tendinitis.

World No. 3 Rafael Nadal has been forced to withdraw from the upcoming US Open due to a knee injury. The Spaniard, who has not played since suffering a shock second-round exit at Wimbledon (l. to Rosol), broke the news to his fans on Facebook and Twitter.

"I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play and have to withdraw from this year's US Open in NYC," Nadal wrote on his Facebook page, which has 11 million fans. "I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions. I want to say hi and thanks to all the fans in particular to the New Yorkers. I'll miss you all this year at the Open!"

"It's not a surprise, because I wrote him and he told me it wasn't looking good at all," said top seeded world number one Federer. "I kind of saw it coming. But obviously when it's official it's disappointing for tennis, there's no doubt about it."

"I would love to have him in the draw. With 12 days before the Open you figure he might still have time to fix what he has to fix to get ready."

"If he pulls out that early before the Open, it must be something serious. That's what is sort of scary. There is obviously the whole debate going on if he is going come back for this year."

Date: 16th August 2012, Source: AFP

0 comments:

Post a Comment