Federer presented ATP Fans' Favourite & Sportsmanship Awards

Roger Federer, the six-time titlist at the ATP World Tour Finals, received two 2012 ATP World Tour Awards presented by Moët & Chandon on Wednesday afternoon at The O2 in London.

ATP Executive Chairman and President Brad Drewett presented the Swiss superstar with the awards for ATP Fans’ Favourite presented by RICOH for a record 10th straight year and the Stefan Edberg Sportsmanship Award for the eighth time (2004-09, 2011-12) and second year in a row.

The special ceremony took place on Centre Court at The O2.

"Stefan Edberg was my idol growing up. He was a great inspiration for me," said Federer. "I always tried to play according to the rules and be respectful to my fellow competitors. A lot of other players totally deserve this award; it's a great pleasure to win it."

"That it's voted for by fellow players makes it extra special. We have great matches all over the world and the recognition is a great feeling. We're trying to inspire the next generation."

On receiving recognition from the fans, Federer commented, "It's incredible. I got this award for the first time in 2003, the year I won Wimbledon, and every year since. It keeps me motivated and inspires me. It makes travelling so much easier. I hope I'll see you supporting tennis and me in the future. I couldn't thank you enough."

Federer plays David Ferrer, a winner of seven titles in 2012, on Thursday afternoon in a Group B round-robin clash.







Date: 7th November 2012, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment