Federer to meet Janowicz in the quarterfinal

Roger Federer will get his first crack at rising star Jerzy Janowicz on Friday after both moved through their third-round matches Thursday evening at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia in Rome.

"He obviously has a big game, unconventional shot selection at times, but really fun to watch," said Federer. "Difficult match-up. He’s got some say clearly, some say, for the outcome of the match because he’s got that big of a game and I’ve got to be careful. I hope I can make it tough for him to beat me. Myself, I’m going to focus on my own game. Make sure I get through my service games and then hope I can create some opportunities on return."

In a match-up tricky on paper, the second-seeded Federer dismissed Gilles Simon 6-1, 6-2 to move ahead 3-2 in the pair’s Head2Head series. The two were squaring off for the first time on clay and Federer came out like a man on a mission, racing to the first set in just 23 minutes. The Swiss superstar capitalised four break points out of eight and was never troubled on serve as he clinched the emphatic win in 62 minutes.

Federer is looking to triumph at the Foro Italico for the first time, having reached the final in 2003 (l. to Mantilla) and 2006 (l. to Nadal). A title this week would see Federer lift his 22nd ATP World Tour Masters 1000 trophy.

Date: 17th May 2013, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment