Rod Laver: Roger Federer is the greatest of all time

Australian tennis legend Rod Laver says Roger Federer is the greatest player of all time. Federer has won a record 17 Grand Slam titles and occupied the No. 1 spot for 302 weeks in a gilded career that has had many to proclaim him as the finest in history.

Laver, speaking in Shanghai, said: "When I look at Federer, with what he's accomplished, against the competition that he's accomplished it with, I'd have to say I would think that Roger is the greatest player.

"Just because his record, the consistency over a span of six, eight years has been pretty amazing. I think that sort of tells you something."

Laver believes the Swiss, despite his dip to No. 7 in rankings , remains capable of adding to his huge haul of Grand Slam titles.

"I think he's certainly capable of winning maybe the Australian, and of course Wimbledon is something that he's pretty involved with. I think he likes those two type of games."

And he said the older players get, the more difficult it is to maintain consistent top-level tennis.

"The only thing I can say is sometimes when you get to be in your 30s, 30 to 35, somewhere in there, in my game, I played a match the day before, I played a terrific match, played 100 percent, as good as I was when 21.

"The next day I go out and there's nothing there.

"So what is it? Is it the desire? Is it your emotion, does it come up? Is your adrenalin not flowing as well as it normally does in a match?

"That's the times I found a problem. I don't know whether Roger's feeling anything of that nature. But sometimes I notice him, he just doesn't have it that day. But the day before he was magnificent."

''So it's not a training method, fitness, nothing to do with his body. So, you know, you just wonder, is it adrenaline that gets you up for matches?''

Date: 10th October 2013, Source: Herald Sun

0 comments:

Post a Comment