Djokovic overcomes Federer in Group B

After a tough battle in the first Round Robin match of ATP World Tour Finals, Roger Federer was defeated 4-6, 7-6(2), 2-6 by Novak Djokovic in Group B.

Djokovic saved a break point at 4-4, 30/40 in the first set, when Federer missed a forehand into space by a whisker.

In the next game, Federer came under pressure. At 15/30, Djokovic hit a forehand to Federer’s toes and the six-time former titlist spooned a forehand out of the court.

Federer saved the first break point with an angled backhand volley, which Djokovic could only just lunge for. Djokovic made sure on the next point to clinch the 37-minute set. Federer, who needed to be aggressive to play close to the baseline, committed 15 unforced errors.

The second set was a tense affair, which Federer should have won sooner than he did. By attacking the net, Federer took time away from Djokovic. Although there were three straight breaks of serve – in games five, six and seven – neither player dominated.

Federer failed to convert a set point opportunity on serve at 5-4. Djokovic went on to convert his second break point chance after a forehand error. In the tie-break, Federer used the angles of the court to great effect and the crowd at The O2 was delighted when he sealed the 70-minute set for a decider.

"It was probably the toughest start I could get for this tournament," said Djokovic. "It was always going to be a tough match for both of us.

"Of course, Roger was fighting throughout," said Djokovic. "The second set was very close. I was not satisfied with my serve. I basically played with no serve. No first serves the whole second set. But when I needed to in the third, I served well. I'm just happy that I overcome this challenge.

"It was intense. It was emotional, up and down. But I lost my calmness. I have to say, in the middle of the second set. At 2-2, I had 40 love. I lost that game for no reason. He started playing better. He started making less mistakes."

Djokovic tightened up his game and committed fewer unforced errors in the third set. He broke Federer's serve in the opening game and once he came through an eighth-minute second game the two-time season finale titlist went on to take a 5-1 lead.

Federer kept battling, but Djokovic won 18 of his 20 first service points and struck 13 winners.

"I think Novak also struggled for a long period of time tonight," said Federer. "So did I. I'm not even sure if we played our best in the third set. It's just one of those matches you try to take advantage when the other guy's not 100 percent."

"I thought I had a chance today. So that's the part where I'm unhappy. I wasn't able to take advantage of it. Because I was actually feeling much better than I was in Paris overall, physically.

"I think at this point it's very mental, just making sure I don't get too negative on myself because of the loss today. I mean, it was against Novak after all. It's not against some journeyman."

Federer now has a 42-10 record at the season finale and won it for a record six times. He is competing for a record-tying 12th straight year.

Date: 6th November 2013, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment