Roger 'excited' to play Novak back-to-back; World Tour Finals draw announced

Nearly a full calendar year passed before Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic faced off on the ATP World Tour. Now, the two will go toe-to-toe twice over a four-day period.

Djokovic rallied past Federer 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 in the BNP Paribas Masters semi-finals on Saturday, but Federer will quickly have a chance for revenge on Tuesday when he plays the Serbian in the night session at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals.

Reflecting on the unique situation, Federer said, “It's unusual, no doubt about it to play back-to-back matches against Novak… I'm always excited about those challenges.

“I have had a good couple of weeks now. Most important thing is to recover as much as I can, so maybe the extra day I will get over Novak now, could be an advantage. But I doubt it. He didn't play Basel. So for me, it's really important to rest right now and make sure I sleep enough and do all those things before our match on Tuesday.”

Federer and Djokovic were drawn in a jam-packed Group B that also features Juan Martin del Potro and Frenchman Richard Gasquet. Federer ended a three-match losing streak to del Potro when he beat him in the Paris quarter-finals.

“With Del Potro, sometimes he wins; sometimes I win. Djokovic beat me, and maybe in three days I will have another opportunity playing him,” said Federer. “But it’s different circumstances and a different stadium in a different place. Now the turnaround is so quick. I like that challenge, but it's not easy.”

Federer has won a record six titles at the season finale.

GROUP A

Rafael Nadal (1)
David Ferrer (3)
Tomas Berdych (5)
Stanislas Wawrinka (7)

GROUP B

Novak Djokovic (2)
Juan Martin del Potro (4)
Roger Federer (6)
Richard Gasquet (8)

Date: 2nd November 2013, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment