Roger Federer plans to 'serve and volley more during 2014'

Roger Federer believes his best chance of winning a Grand Slam title during 2014 will come at Wimbledon, with the former world No 1 hinting that his best route for tournament success would be to play more serve-and-volley tennis.

The 17-time Grand Slam champion recently hired the services of Stefan Edberg who was considered the best serve-and-volley player of his generation.

Edberg, 46, won six Grand Slam titles between 1985 and 1992, with Federer describing him as 'my boyhood idol.'

The Swede joins Federer's coaching staff with the Swiss star saying: "Let's say I play my best, probably I always feel that Wimbledon is going to be my best chance.

"Then the US Open, Australian Open, and then the French Open."

As for his latest appointment, Federer added: "It's going to be interesting to see what he (Edberg) thinks.

"If it's possible to play a lot of serve and volley on the slower courts we see all around the world now, or if there are different ways for me to find my way to the net.

"I've tried many things. We can debate with Severin Luthi, my coach, about ways to come to the net or not.
"Clearly it's important to take time away from your opponent, to dictate play as well, as much as you can.

"Also, you have to be able to not miss too much and physically stay in the rally, and mentally as well.

"So it's a combination of many things now against the good players we know at the top."

Date: 30th December 2013, Source: Sky Sports

0 comments:

Post a Comment