Chardy saves a match point to stun Federer in Rome

World No. 47 Jeremy Chardy saved one match point as he stunned Roger Federer 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(6) in the second round of the Internazionali BNL d’Italia on Wednesday in Rome.

The fourth-seeded Federer had fought back from a 2-4 deficit in the final set to force a tie-break and held match point at 6-5 after Chardy double faulted. With Federer stranded in the mid-court, though, Chardy hit a winning forehand pass to level at 6-6 and converted his first match point as Federer hit a service return long.

After cruising through the first set, Federer began to commit unforced errors at an alarming rate and Chardy quickly took advantage amid swirling wind at the Foro Italico.

''I wasn't able to stretch the lead when I had it,'' Federer said.

Federer committed 43 unforced errors - 20 in the second set alone - to Chardy's 28. Federer also struggled to dictate play with his first serve.

"I think we both struggled to win today and in the end a shot here or there decided the match," said Federer. "He gave me a double fault to give me match point. I missed my first serve, which was crucial, but credit to him to give it a go. That passing shot is a tough one for me to take. Credit to him for fighting his way back into the match."

The 32-year-old Federer was playing his first match since he and his wife, Mirka, welcomed their second set of twins, Lenny and Leo, eight days ago. He was bidding to win the elusive Rome crown for the first time, after three runner-up showings in 2003 (l. to Mantilla), 2006 (l. to Nadal) and 2013 (l. to Nadal).

Today's loss marks Federer’s earliest defeat of this season; he has a 28-6 match record.

Federer didn't appear worried about his preparations for the French Open, which starts in 11 days.

''Everything is under control,'' Federer said, recalling that he reached the final of the Monte Carlos Masters last month. ''I still feel good, my body is good, my mind is good and it's just unfortunate for one passing shot today I don't get another opportunity to play this week.''

"Beating Roger, for sure, is the best win ever," said Chardy. "For me, he's the best player, he's like a legend. Normally, you cannot have an idol when you play, but I really like the way he plays. So, for me, it's really good to win today.

"Today it was a difficult match. The conditions were really difficult, a lot of wind. I played a really bad first set, he played a really bad second set. After that, the third set was a good fight. I made an amazing shot on the match point and in the end I won. It was the perfect scenario to beat Roger."

Date: 14th May 2014, Source: ATP and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment