Federer too strong for Robredo; faces Wawrinka in all Swiss QF

A sublime serving performance from Roger Federer took the Swiss to a 12th Wimbledon quarter-final on Tuesday at the All England Club. The seven-time Wimbledon champion lost just three service points in the first two sets as he claimed a 6-1, 6-4, 6-4 win over Tommy Robredo.

“Tommy was playing better as the match went on and I’m clearly happy to win in straight sets,” said Federer, who fought off Robredo’s only break point in the final game as he served out the match in just 93 minutes. The right-hander hit 41 winners, including 11 aces, and converted four of his 13 break point chances.

“I’m very pleased with the first week,” Federer told BBC television. “Here we go into the quarter-finals. It’s really exciting being so deep in the tournament, closer to the finish line. It’s really nice how I’m playing. I’m serving well, moving well, returning all right. Everything I need to happen is happening to go deep in the tournament.”

Federer goes on to face Stan Wawrinka in an all-Swiss quarter-final. Federer takes a commanding 13-2 Head to Head lead into the contest, but it was Wawrinka who won their most recent contest, claiming his first ATP World Tour Masters 1000 title with victory in Monte-Carlo.

“It’s going to be fun, I hope,” said Wawrinka to ESPN. “Playing him on grass here at Wimbledon is going to be something special for sure. He’s won so many times; he’s playing so well. But I’m happy with the way I’m playing so far since the beginning of the tournament.”

Federer is bidding to win an unprecedented eighth Wimbledon title, which would mark his 18th Grand Slam championship. The Basel native’s last major triumph came at The Championships two years ago (d. Murray).

“I feel like my game's right there,” said Federer. “It’s important to keep it up and not have any major let downs or minor hiccups. I need to be really focused out there. I’m able to do that. I’m healthy. Things are exactly where I want them to be. But I’m only in the quarter-finals and that's where the tournament really starts.”

The 29-year-old Wawrinka ended Feliciano Lopez’s winning run with a 7-6(5), 7-6(7), 6-3 victory in just under two hours. The Swiss struck 31 aces and made only eight unforced errors, not facing a single break point in the contest.

"Playing against him on grass is really tough,” said Wawrinka. “Winning the first tie-break was really important. I’m really happy today. I was serving really well.”

Lopez had won 12 of his past 13 matches coming into the fourth round, including winning the Eastbourne title and squandering one match point in finishing runner-up at The Queen’s Club.

Wawrinka is through to the Wimbledon quarter-finals for the first time and is looking to win his second Grand Slam championship. The right-hander was victorious at the Australian Open in January, beating Rafael Nadal in the final.

Date: 1st July 2014, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment