Roger Federer eyes 'great things' after Wimbledon final defeat

Wimbledon runner-up Roger Federer said he hoped his performance in the tournament would be a "stepping stone" to more success.

The 32-year-old seven-time champion lost 7-6(7), 4-6, 6-7(4), 7-5, 4-6 to Novak Djokovic in a thrilling final.

"I'm very happy to see that I can produce a performance like I did the last two weeks," said Federer.

"That clearly makes me believe that this was just a stepping stone to many more great things in the future."

Federer has not won a Grand Slam title since Wimbledon in 2012, but played superbly throughout the tournament, losing only one set on the way to the final.

In a memorable match on Centre Court, the fourth seed fought back from 5-2 down in the fourth set to force a decider.

But Djokovic broke in the 10th game to win his second title at the All England Club and his seventh Grand Slam crown.

"It was a great match and I enjoyed being a part of it," added Federer.

"Winning or losing, it's always something special in the Wimbledon final and something you'll remember, even more so when the match was as dramatic as it was today.

"I'm very pleased with the way things went throughout the match. It was a high-quality match and it was good stuff from both players.

"Clearly we both walk away happy from here. I mean, him more happy than I am. But still, I'm happy overall."

Federer enjoyed the majority of the support from a packed crowd, which included the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The Swiss met the Royal couple after the match but said he was too upset to hold down a conversation.

"I wasn't in a great state," he said. "I was unbelievably sad at that moment just when I left the court, so it was a difficult moment for the three of us.

"But they were very sweet to comfort me and wish me well."

Date: 7th July 2014, Source: BBC

0 comments:

Post a Comment