Federer reveals how the SABR return was born

Roger Federer advanced into the 4th round of the US Open after beating Philipp Kohlschreiber in straight sets. The Swiss once again came very soon after to press, possibly keen to use the good weather in New York to organize a family day.

Speaking to the media, Roger also told the story of how his SABR return was born in Cincinnati. SABR stands for "Sneaky Attack By Roger" for those who didn't know it yet, and consists on the Swiss moving forward close to the service box to hit the return as soon as the ball bounces to then take the net and close with a volley. It is an aggressive version of the commonly known Chip and Charge.

Roger revealed the story of how the shot was born in Cincinnati to the media in New York.

"So when I arrived in Cincinnati, I arrived, I don't know what time it was, maybe after lunchtime, and then I went for a hit. It was Benoit Paire. He had like an ear problem. I was tired from jet lag. We were tired and practicing on center court, which was great.

It was on a Saturday or on a Friday I don't remember. I had a chance to hit the court for at least one hour.

But that time I was very tired and he was tired, and at the end we said, Well, let's still play some games just because it feels like it's the right thing to do.

I was going to stop already, but Severin told me to play a few games to get used to the conditions. I said, Whatever. Let's play some games.

And, yeah, at the end we were just kidding around almost, and that's when I said, Okay, I'm going to chip and charge and just keep the points short. I'm tired. I want to get off the court soon anyway. That's when I started to run in and hit returns. I hit a couple for a winner. They were like ridiculous. He laughed, I laughed, Severin laughed.

Then I did it again in the next practice just to see if it actually would still work again. Then I tried it the next practice and it still worked. That's what Severin said, Well, what about using it in a match? I was like, Really?

So he pushed me to keep using it and not shy away from using it on big moments, and not just because you don't know how you look with a full stadium. He was actually the one who pushed, you know, pushed me to it.

And because we were always talking about that tactic, as well, we sort of came up with that name, you, know, sneak attack by Roger, ^ saber. I don't know. Call it Fed attack, call it whatever you want, but I thought it was kind of funny.

And, yeah, today again it worked a couple of times. I didn't get that many second serves when I thought I could use it, but moving forward it's an option. Clearly I'm very happy it worked so well in Cincy."

Date: 6th September 2015, Source: Tennis World USA

0 comments:

Post a Comment