Federer wins on long-awaited clay return

Switzerland's Roger Federer breezed through his first match on clay in three years, downing Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-2, 6-3 on Tuesday in the Round of 32 at the Mutua Madrid Open.

Having last played on clay in May of 2016, Federer needed just 52 minutes to clinch the victory, finishing with 28 winners against 20 unforced errors. He converted all three break point opportunities and did not face one on his own serve.

"It feels good to be back on the clay," Federer said. "I enjoyed it. Some of these rallies, where you get pushed to the side, you slide. You can play in a different manner than you do on the hard courts or the grass."

The 37-year-old Federer skipped the clay season the last two years to make sure he was fit for the rest of the year. The 20-time Grand Slam champion is preparing to make his first French Open appearance since 2015. He has won two hard-court titles this season, in Dubai and Miami. He is a three-time winner in Madrid, with his last title in 2012.

"Super happy to be back here in Madrid. The crowds and the ovation I got before and after the game were great. It really makes you feel like that was the right choice to come to Madrid, so that felt good," Federer said. "The first game went well. I didn't think Richard was at his best, far off. But from my side, it was a good match."

The Swiss was gliding on the red dirt and thinking clearly with his shot selection. He offered a couple "Are you kidding me?" drop shots, including one during a service return, to close out the opening set. Federer finished with 28 winners to 20 unforced errors.

Gasquet, who was playing in only his second tour-level match of the year after undergoing groin surgery on 18 January, recovered well in the second set, stretching Federer wide during rallies. But the Swiss' attacking tennis was too much for the Frenchman, and Federer won the final two games to improve to 18-2 in their ATP Head to Head series and has won their past 22 sets.

"It was nice seeing Gasquet back after so many months being away from the Tour with injury. I think for both of us it was a special match being back here in Madrid," Federer said.

"Crowd was great. It's been wonderful. I think, always in Spain, I've been well-received over the last decade or so just because of my rivalry with Rafa and all the other Spanish players, like Ferrer and so forth. So the people really know me. They followed my matches closely for so many years. They heard me speak, and they feel like they kind of know me. So then when I come to their markets, I think they appreciate it, and so do I. Full house, special atmosphere, so I appreciate it."

The fourth seed in the tournament, Federer had a first-round bye. He will next face either 15th-seeded Frenchman Gael Monfils or Hungary's Marton Fucsovics, who downed Belgium's David Goffin 6-4, 7-5 in first round.

Date: 7 May 2019, Source: Reuters, ATP and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment