Federer lose in Shanghai quarterfinals

Roger Federer went from perfectly unbeatable to unbelievably beaten in the quarterfinals of the Shanghai Masters. He had been 5-0 in quarterfinal matches at the Shanghai Masters, and won two titles, but lost Friday.

Federer saved five match points in the second set in the 6-3, 6-7 (7), 6-3 loss to fifth-seeded Alexander Zverev. The 22-year-old Zverev now leads Federer 4-3 in career meetings.

“I mean, they're knocking on the door big time, the young guys,” Federer said. “It's exciting. They're great. It's really open now, I think, for the finish of this tournament.”

Zverev will next play Matteo Berrettini, an 11th-seeded Italian who defeated fourth-seeded Dominic Thiem 7-6 (8), 6-4.

“I told him at the net that he showed great character, that he was strong. I thought he didn't show any frustrations or too much negativity,” Federer said. “I didn't see him very often being extremely frustrated except the one time when he hit three let cords in a row, the last game I think it was.

“That was impressive, because he has tendencies to get a bit down on himself. Especially this season, he hasn't been playing maybe so well, so that impressed me the most. If I can get one per cent of that, I'm happy, too.”

Zverev had three consecutive match points on his serve at 6-5, 40/0 in the second set and two more in the ensuing tie-break, but Federer saved them all. Zverev, however, quickly rebounded, breaking Federer and jumping out to a 3-0 lead in the deciding set.

“It was a crazy end to the second set, no doubt about it. I think it was 6-5, 40-Love. At that point you're halfway home anyway, but I defended well, attacked well, hit some great shots, came back and then also the tie-break was tough the whole time,” Federer said.

“But it was definitely a great atmosphere at that point, and I was able to maybe get a bit more balls back on his serve, because I thought he was clocking his serve really well all match today. It was really impressive.

“I think in the second set he had more opportunities probably, so I think he deserved to win that third set.”

Federer is next scheduled to play at his hometown tournament, the Swiss Indoors Basel, which begins 21 October. He has, for a record-extending 17th time, already secured his place at the season-ending ATP Finals, to be held 10-17 November at The O2 in London.

Date: 11 October 2019, Source: ATP and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment