Roger Federer wins 10th Basel title

Roger Federer won his 10th Swiss Indoors Basel title on Sunday, smothering young Australian Alex De Minaur 6-2, 6-2 to secure what the Swiss legend described as "an unbelievable" success at the home-town tournament where he used to work as a ballboy.

Federer, playing in front of a fervent home crowd, played attacking tennis against the speedy 20-year-old, who was going for his fourth title of the season (3-1). The 38-year-old broke four times, mixing up the pace and keeping De Minaur on the move from the back of the court.

"It was fast but very nice. I think I played a great match. It was a tough opener, in the beginning, the first five games, we had some great rallies. I never looked back," Federer said. "I was great on the offence, made very few unforced errors and came up with the big shots and served well when I had to.

"I thought Alex played a great tournament as well, and I think we both can be very happy. But what a moment for me to win my 10th here in my hometown of Basel."

Federer had to control his emotions as he drew a loud and heartfelt standing ovation from his home public during the presentation for his 103rd career trophy.

The 20-time Grand Slam champion said it was as a ballboy at the St. Jakobshalle more than two decades ago that he got his first taste of tennis.

"Being a ballboy really inspired me," he said. "But I cannot believe that I've won here 10 times. I never even thought that I would win it once, this has been an unbelievable week for me."

With his wife, children and parents watching, Federer was presented with a metal sculpture depicting a life-sized hand ready to toss a tennis ball in honour of his landmark title.

Federer defeated the 28th-ranked De Minaur in their first meeting.

"Alex has had a great year," Federer said. "It's not easy to win tournaments and he's done it three times already this year. There is more to come for you. As for me, I hope to be back here next year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of this event."

De Minaur joked that he had his own slender hopes prior to the start.

"I was hoping Roger might just get sick of winning, but that didn't happen. He was too good again, it's amazing. It was a dream to play him here in Basel. It's been a great season for me, I'll just keep pushing for bigger and better things."

The Swiss now can count Basel alongside the Noventi Open in Halle as his most successful tournaments by titles won. Federer has won his home ATP 500 during his past five appearances. He improved to 75-9 at the tournament and has won 24 consecutive matches on centre court.

"I couldn't be more happy," Federer said. "What a great tournament it's been for me, always, but particularly the last few times I've been here."

Federer won his fourth title of the season, tied for second best on the Tour, and the 103rd of his career (103-54).

Now, he is just six short of the record 109 ATP trophies held by American Jimmy Connors.

Federer is due to play next week at the Paris Masters, the final event of the regular season before the November 10 start of the ATP Finals in London.

Date: 27 October 2019, Source: AFP and ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment