Roger opens with comfortable win in Miami

Roger Federer preserved dignity among the elite at the Miami Masters, earning a comfortable opening victory after world number three Andy Murray crashed out to unheralded Mardy Fish.

World number one and top seed Federer quietly dominated Nicolas Lapentti Saturday, vanquishing the Ecuadoran 6-3, 6-3 in 66 minutes.

But it was another story for Murray, who fell 6-4, 6-4 to the 101st-ranked Fish.

Federer is the sole survivor of the top three as Murray's early exit followed that of second-seeded Serbian Novak Djokovic on Friday.

Federer admitted that seeing Djokovic and Murray bow out before he had even taken the court had given him pause.

"It worries me as well, being the top seed, seeing high seeds fall out of the tournament. I haven't even started playing yet, and there's two big names out of the tournament already."

But Federer said a solid service game was all he needed to steady his nerves.

"I came through because I served very well. I had a good start into all my service games. I always knew I was going to have a couple of chances at least on the return games," said Federer, who needed only two breaks of Lapentti to earn his 12th victory of the season.

Federer lined up a third-round clash with Frenchman Florent Serra, a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 winner over Spain's Albert Montanes.

Federer is beginning a bid for a third Miami title after winning here in 2005 and 2006.

Date: 27.03.2010, Source: AFP

0 comments:

Post a Comment