Federer and Wawrinka lost in the doubles final

The first-time pairing of Alexandr Dolgopolov and Xavier Malisse completed their giant-killing run at the BNP Paribas Open, defeating Olympic gold medalists Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka 6-4, 6-7(5) 10-7 in the doubles final at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournament.

Federer and Wawrinka, who had ousted defending champions Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez in the semi-finals, were teaming up in a tournament for the first time since capturing the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics. The loss ended their winning streak at 10 matches.

“I thought I played actually well today, in singles and in doubles,” said Federer, who lost his singles semi-final to Novak Djokovic earlier in the day. “Sure, it's a bit of a pity that I couldn't get either one of them, but that's how it goes when you sign up for doubles. That's what can happen.

“It's no problem.  I thought I played good in the singles. I also thought the week with Stan in doubles was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I just thought Dolgopolov and Malisse played really well today in the final.”

Date: 20.03.2011, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment