Federer into Brisbane semifinals in just 41 minutes

Roger Federer will take on Grigor Dimitrov in the semi-finals of the Brisbane International on Saturday, as he edges closer to becoming the third player in the Open Era (since 1968) to record 1,000 career match wins.

Twenty four hours after battling back to beat John Millman, Federer calmly defeated another Australian wild card, James Duckworth, 6-0, 6-1 in 41 minutes.

"I was very happy the way I played," said Federer. "I played aggressive, served well, and then especially on the return I kept the pressure on time and time again. Next thing you know, it was like I was running away with the score."

Federer lost just six points in the 16-minute opener and he had won eight straight games before Duckworth held serve to 15 for 1-2 in the second set. He won 25 of his 30 service points overall.

“It was a rough night,” said Duckworth. “We all have days that aren't as good as others. It was a bit of a combination of things: me not playing great; didn't probably hit the ball as well as I had the last two matches, and Roger was seeing the ball pretty big… He didn’t do too much wrong tonight.”

Federer is now just two match wins shy of 1,000 career match wins. Should he lift the trophy on Sunday, he would join Jimmy Connors (1,253) and Ivan Lendl (1,071) as the only players to accomplish the feat.

On Thursday night, Federer recovered from a set and 1-3 deficit to beat Millman in just over two hours.

"I'm very happy," admitted Federer. "I saved energy and stress and nerves and everything, because yesterday was quite nerve wracking and physically difficult because it was first match of the season. You're always going to be a bit tense in that match."

Federer and Dimitrov are often compared due to their styles, particularly the single-handed backhand, and they're both anticipating a great semifinal.

''I'm aware of the challenge,'' Federer said. ''He's clearly expecting big things from himself this year, I would assume.

''So, it's an opportunity for him more than for me, but I still think it's going to be a tough and good match for both of us.''

Federer has beaten Dimitrov in the Swiss Indoors Basel quarter-finals for the past two years.

''I'm always excited when I get to play a match like that against a player like that,'' Dimitrov said. ''I have quite a bit of experience behind me now. I've learned from each match that I've played against him. I like my odds.''

Date: 9th January 2015, Source: ATP and AP

0 comments:

Post a Comment