Federer pushed hard to win the season opener

Roger Federer was pushed all the way in his 2015 ATP World Tour season opener at the Brisbane International on Thursday.

Federer fought back from a set and 1-3 deficit to beat World No. 153 John Millman 4-6, 6-4, 6-3 in two hours and two minutes, during the night session.

“I was under a lot of pressure and I thought I got quite lucky,” said Federer on-court. “He was playing great tennis until maybe the last couple of games. I had to fight very hard. Credit to him for pushing me to the edge.

“I didn’t play badly, but maybe felt a bit tired at times. The first match of the season you never know quite what to expect. I am sweating like crazy. I am happy we had a good match and I got through in the end.”

Federer saved three set points from 0/40 at 4-5, but was broken on Millman's fourth opportunity after he missed a swinging forehand volley. Federer committed 21 unforced errors in the set.

Millman led 3-1 in the second set, before Federer started his comeback. He broke Millman and then came back from 0/40, on his serve, to level at 3-3. He saved four of five break points to come through the second set.

Federer, who finished runner-up last year, broke Millman at 3-3 in the decider.

He is now just three match wins (997) shy of 1,000 victories, a feat that he could achieve by lifting the 83rd trophy of his career on Sunday. Only Jimmy Connors and Ivan Lendl have reached the match wins milestone in the Open Era (since 1968).

Federer next meet another Australian James Duckworth, who will contest his first ATP World Tour quarter-final. Duckworth saved two match points against Jarkko Nieminen to prevail 4-6, 7-6(5), 6-3 in two hours and four minutes.

Date: 8th January 2015, Source: ATP

0 comments:

Post a Comment