Federer to reduce workload as he aims for more grand slams

World No 2 Roger Federer will play less tournaments in 2015 as he hunts for an 18th Grand Slam title in Australia.

Many critics were writing Federer off after a testing 2013 as he struggled with a back injury, but the 33-year-old stormed back last season to win more matches - 73 - than any other player on the men's tour.

And the Swiss superstar is set to kick off the new year at the Brisbane International on Thursday in buoyant mood with a fresh outlook on his playing schedule.

"I’m not sure if I’m going to play as much this year," Federer told Sky Sports. "I will have to win even more matches because I will most likely play less tournaments - we’re talking a couple here and there.

"I can definitely play another good season. I finished so strongly in the last six months so there’s no reason to think negatively at this point. At the same time, I know how well prepared all the other players are."

Federer, who claimed five ATP Tour titles last year, will play his first game of the tournament against John Millman in the second round in Brisbane.

With Novak Djokovic sitting at the top of the rankings, Federer is still motivated by claiming top spot again and impressing in Melbourne with the year's first Grand Slam starting on January 19.

"I would love to win the Australian Open," Federer added. "It would get me really close to being world No 1, plus it would mean I would win another Grand Slam.

"But if that wasn’t possible, then I would probably dream of winning Wimbledon once more. I just want to stay healthy and play good tennis and enjoy myself."

Date: 8th January 2015, Source: Sky Sports

1 comments:

  1. Hope Roger wins Wimbledon and at least another Slam!

    ReplyDelete